5 month pregnant. What is meant by fatal cranial bones are absent?

my wife has 5 month pregnancy and done ultrasound test and report says SINGLE LIVE FETUS OF AVERAGE GA 19 WEEKS 5 DAYS FATAL ANENCEPHALY NOTED FATAL CRANIAL BONES ARE ABSENT please help what to do
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later
The ultrasound report suggests that the head of your baby has not developed and this anomaly is incompatible with life. The baby is not likely to survive after birth.
You need to consult a Gynecologist for the abortion of the baby. Further continuation of the pregnancy will not be fruitful.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: 5 month pregnant. What is meant by fatal cranial bones are absent? 12 minutes later
on net i searched for cranial bone development process called ossification if there is any possibility
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Since the cranial bones and brain have not developed till 19 weeks of pregnancy, it is not likely to develop now. The ossification centres and development of brain is severely retarded and is not compatible with life.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: 5 month pregnant. What is meant by fatal cranial bones are absent? 28 minutes later
after abortion can i have baby if yes then what to do before pregnancy and what medicine should we both have to take next not have such abnormal baby to prevent abortion
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Yes you can have a healthy baby next time. Your wife will have to start taking folic acid supplements from the day you start planning for the baby.
Also, you need to get an ultrasound scan done at 14 weeks to detect any fetal anomalies earlier.
Best wishes.