5 month old hit on head. Reddish bump appeared. Have slight fever. Should I be concerned?

My 5-month-old son fell off the bed and knocked his head against the metal leg of the computer table. The injured patch turned red and into a slight bruise with a bump. He is behaving normally and stopped crying as soon as I picked him up when he fell. However, he seems to be having a slight fever now. Is it a concern? He did not vomit and slept as per usual.
Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 28 minutes later

I am sorry to hear about your son.

Though the child seems to be fine now, I strongly advise you to take the child nearest hospital in accident / emergency department for through check up by orthopaedic surgeon or paeditrican.

In my experience I have seen the effect of head injury can show up quite late. I think he should be x-rayed and if necessary should have scan too. I think the specialist will give you appropriate advise.

I am sure he will be okay; but better safe than sorry.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Kindest regards
Follow-up: 5 month old hit on head. Reddish bump appeared. Have slight fever. Should I be concerned? 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for the prompt response. If he goes for a scan, will it be bad for him due to the radiation and also because he's so young? By the way, the patch is not red anymore but has become a blue-black bruise. The fever was also a misinterpretation by my mum. However, the bump is still there. Is it fine for us to just rub medications onto the patch? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 1 hour later

Thank you for your reply.

If the baby has scan, it will be most likely MRI scan which does not involve any radiation.

The most XXXXXXX thing that happens due to head injury of young infants is bleeding under the brain cover called dura mater and the condition is known as subdural haematoma. It may take some times to develop.

If the MRI scan is clear which I am sure it will be; we can rest our mind. I am sure the Paedtrician will explain you everything. I again wish your baby's speedy recovery.

Let me know if you have other concerns.

Kindest regards