5 month old child, suffering from low grade fever, having cheek redness. Causes?

5 month old infant with red cheeks and week long low grade fever?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 3 hours later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to ask few more queries that would help me in giving you a better answer:

1.) Is he having similar rashes anywhere else on his body?
2.) Is he having a Runny Nose?

I shall try to answer based on the information given. Fever with red cheeks might a sign of “Slapped Cheek Disease”, which is also known as Erythema Infectiosum / Fifth Disease. It is a Viral Infection which affects infants when exposed to infected persons coughing or sneezing near them.

I would suggest getting him examined by a Qualified Pediatrician; so that he/she may examine him in detail and perform some tests to rule out other Infectious diseases which cause similar rash. The other possibilities are
1.) Measles.
2.) Scarlet Fever.
3.) Rubella.
4.) Roseola.

Usually the infections gradually subside in a few weeks. Sometimes, rash on the face or body can be there for up to a month, but this doesn’t mean he still has the illness. So do not worry.

There are few things which you can do at home to take care of your Baby.

1.) Let your baby rest well.
2.) Increase his daily feeds - breastfeeds or Formula feeds.
If he is Formula Fed, feed him more water as there are chances that he might get dehydrated due to fever.
3.) Do not give him any medication without discussing with his Paediatrician. You can give him Ibuprofen or Paracetamol drops when there is rise in temperature. Discuss the dosage with his Doctor.
4.) Limit handling of the baby by others. This will prevent others from getting infected and him getting reinfected.
5.) Since infants' immunity will be less, ensure that you and others wash hands with a Antiseptic solution before touching the baby since it can help prevent the spread of many infections.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available to answer your follow up queries if any.

Good Luck.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.