5 month old child, suffering from fever, cough, eye discharge, vomiting on eating. Treatment with calpol or visit to doctor?

I have a 5 month old daughter who has a temperature of 38c, a productive cough, gunky eyes and it's pretty under the weather.
Should I just keep treating her At home with calpol or should I take her to see my g.p?
She is still taking her feeds, but is vomiting after them a bit because of her coughing.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Jyoti Patil 2 hours later

I understand, your 5 month old daughter has fever with productive cough and vomiting after feeding.

Considering her age and also the previous history of febrile convulsions, it is better to get her evaluated by Pediatrician.

Also, I do not know the duration of current illness. If it is long standing, she may need treatment with systemic antibiotics.

Till you arrange for consultation, continue Colpol for fever. Steam inhalation will help ease breathlessness due to cough and secretions if any. Maintain good hydration with lot of fluids for faster recovery.

Take her for immediate consultation if she gets high fever or develop severe cough or breathlessness.

I hope, this answers your query. Please accept my query in case you have no follow up queries.