5 month baby having rashes on cheeks, itchy ears. Not getting cured. What should I do for relief?

hi, my daughter is five months old and she has a red oozing rash like on her cheeks, also she has a very itchy ear lobe on both of her ears and she itches it continuosly while sleeping now it has become red. I've tried using vaselin, baby oil, olive oil even turmeric but nothing seems to be working. so pls help am really worried. i didn't use any ointment fearing that she might swallow it.

Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 2 hours later
Dear Patient,
Thanks for your query .
Itchy , oozing rash on face and ear area can be atopic dermatitis, contact irritant dermatitis and hence need to be examined before prescribing any medication.
I would request you not to apply any household things like oils etc as they can further irritate the skin at times.
A treatment comprising of antibiotics, antihistaminics and topical steroidal creams alongwith topical antibacterials are required to treat the condition.

Dr.Rohit Batra