5 and half years old suffering from viral fever. On medication. History of asthma. Started coughing. Worrisome

my son is 5 and half years old. He has been suffering from viral fever for last four days. The fever is coming back after 12 hours gap now while it was occuring in every 3/5 hours for first 2 days. He is taking AugmentinDDs 5ml thrice daily, crocin-ds for fever and ambrodyl s for coughing. My current problem is his coughing problem has increased from last nigt. He has a history of asthma and had to admitted to hospital for it in last two consecutive years also was in inhaler for one year. His child specialist hasn't suggest any cough suppressent this time. so my queries may I give my child any cough syrup? Does the cough syrups have any side effect if his fever is any other kind other than viral?
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 11 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Ambrodyl contains Ambroxol, it is mucolytic and expectorant. It breaks the tenacious sputum, increase the bronchial secretion or reduce its viscosity facilitating its removal by coughing.
As your son has expectoration these medication is prescribed and so i think he has not prescribed the cough suppressant.
If your son does not have severe coughing, it is fine only if he has severe cough then you should think of cough suppressant.
Usually viral fever will subside within week, so i advice you to wait for day or two see the improvement.
It is advisable that if you son's symptoms increases you should see physician for through examination.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.