49 years old, trying to conceive, irregular periods. Will avoiding contraception increase my chances of getting pregnant?

Hi I am 49 in January, I'm 5' 3" weigh 100 lbs, I haven't had children. My last period was in Feb 2011, my previous one was in Sept 2010, then before that XXXXXXX 2010. Prior to that they were regularly every month. I don't want to conceive. Should I continue to use some form of contraception or would it be fine to go without.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 8 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Considering your age and the symptoms which you have been experiencing like irregular periods, most probably be due to Perimenopausal Period.

Since you have not had periods for more than 9 months, there are less chances of conceiving and probably, you may not need any form of Contraception.

Kindly do not take any medicine without consulting your Doctor. Get yourself examined by a Gynecologist so that he/she may examine you in detail and confirm Menopause by ruling out other possibilities of irregular periods.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.