49 years old, have bleeding with strong odor. Perimenopausal symptoms ?

Hi! I am almost 49 and have been experiencing most of the perimenopausal symptoms for over a year. I had even stopped having periods the past 3 months, and unexpectedly started bleeding and cramping a few days ago.....apparently they were not over for good. However, I have noticed that the blood has a very strong odor. It is bright red and smells like something dead. Is that normal? Thanks
Posted Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Soumen Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I have gone through your history in detail.

It is not normal thing. According to history,you have peri-menopausal bleeding and vaginal infection , which is causing the foul smell. Sometimes irregular bleeding may be seen in this age group. But to make sure that we dont miss any thing serious, we should run certain tests.
Since the causes can be as varied as a hormonal imbalance to endometrial hyperplasia to even a cancer, a complete physical examination including pelvic/speculum exam and colposcopy if indicated, would be needed.

Possibilities can be narrowed by several investigations like blood test for thyroid profile & clotting factor abnormality, Ultrasound scan for pelvis, pap smear test to detect cancerous changes and endometrial biopsy if required. A routine urine examination & vaginal swab culture are required to rule out causative microorganism.

The treatment would then depend upon the identified cause. To combat vaginal infection, short course of antibiotic therapy & vaginal suppository would also be needed.

So please consult with your gynecologist for a consult and get a prescription.

Till then, the following things should help:
1) Take a healthy and balanced diet with iron supplements
2) Drink more water and eat leafy vegetables/ fruits.
3) Avoid heavy work or straining
4) Avoid stress/anxiety & maintain genital hygiene.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions ,I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health
Dr Soumen