49 years old. Noticed light spotting after periods, trouble sleeping and palpitations. Start of menopause?

i am 49yrs old. had my period last week and now this week i am lightly spotting. also having palpitations and trouble sleeping. could this be the start of menopause?
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Mild spotting after the period has finished is not suggestive of menopause. It sometimes happens when the shed endometrium during the periods is not completely expelled and the mild spotting is seen later.
This usually subsides without any treatment.
The palpitations and trouble in sleeping could be related to anxiety. Taking an over the counter sleeping aid like melatonin supplement will help you.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.