48 year old. Having low HDl level. Should I take any medicine or use walnuts in my breakfast?

Nephrologist
Question
i am 48 year old having no BP /NO sugar. but my HDL is very low i.e. 35 should i take any medicine or use walnuts in my breakfast. my plus rate is normally 84. please advise
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Cholesterol

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 12 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the query

I would like to know a few more details in Oder to help you better

1. Please attach/ type out the complete lipid profile report
2. Why was a lipid profile done in the first place?
3. Please mention your height in and weight
4. On an average day how does your daily diet look like?
5. Do you exercise? If yes, what and how much per week

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: 48 year old. Having low HDl level. Should I take any medicine or use walnuts in my breakfast? 52 minutes later
1. Please attach/ type out the ----- ATTACHED
2. Why was a lipid profile done------ DETECTED CHOLESTEROL GENERAL HEALTH CHECK UP
3. Please mention your height in and weight 5'4" AND 67 KG
4. On an average day how does your daily diet look like? VERY SIMPLE VEG AND LESS OF OIL AND FIVE CHAPATI , FRUITS AND FRESH VEGITABLE
5. Do you exercise? If yes, what and how much per week ALMOST NO BUT SOME TIME WALKING AND YOGA I.E. PRAYANAM.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 10 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the query

Your lipid profile is looking good but for the HDL. Here is what you should do to get into better shape

1. Aerobic exercise three times per week or brisk walking 30 min a day for 5 days a week
2. Olive oil, peanut butter and omega 3 fatty acids are known to increase HDL
3. Avoid food XXXXXXX in trans fat, you are anyways healthy so no issues there
4. No medicines are required at this point. If it goes even lower Niacin can be started but I don't see that coming if you follow what I have asked you to

I hope I have answered your query, if you have any further ones please get back to me

I wish you good health

Follow-up: 48 year old. Having low HDl level. Should I take any medicine or use walnuts in my breakfast? 9 hours later
dear Dr XXXXXXX
please reply following

use walnuts in my breakfast. my plus rate is normally 84. please advise
plus rate is higher side any problem please advise

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Hello

Walnuts are known to have medicinal value when consumed along with saturated fat as it reduces their absorption but it doesn't do anything to improve the HDL, I advice you to take omega 3 fatty acids, peanuts or olive oil instead.

Your pulse rate is normal. 60-90 beats per minute is considered normal. There is nothing to worry about that