47 years old. Started burning sensation on tongue. Related to menopause?

I have a painful burning sensation on the front of my tongue. It may be associated with going into menopause as I am 47 years old. Is there anthing I can do to relieve the pain?
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
You are probably suffering from burning mouth syndrome. It is associated with pain in mouth and tongue without any identifiable cause in mouth like bad dentures or medical cause. Also there are no symptoms in mouth.
Decreased oestrogen level in perimenopausal women is one of the associated factor. It is also associated commonly with decreased vitamin levels. It can be treated if possible causative factor found.
You need to consult your gynaecologist or physician for detailed examination and laboratory investigation like hormonal and vitamin levels. If test results comes abnormal then treatment can b3 directed to specific cause. Otherwise anxiolytic or alpha lipolic acids tablets needs to be started.
However decision is solely depends on examination and investigation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.