47 years old. Having irregular periods. Noticed black clotty discharge. Should I be concerned?

I am 47 & have irregular periods & believe it is due to the beginning process of menopause - today was day 1 of what I thought was going to be the beginning of my period which I have not had in 2 - 3 months - but I am only seeing what is usually the end & am noticing a very black clotty discharge. Is there any cause for alarm (Please note - when turning left to get out of the van today I had a very sharp pain on the left side under by chest)
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 42 minutes later
From premenopause to menopausal phase periods keep on decreasing & decreasing & finally get stopped. If there occurs excessive bleeding in this phase then it is a matter of worry.
you are going in right direction & no need to worry.
Pain on left side under chest is a different matter, it can be related to cardiac problem or muscular; for that consult your physician & get ECG done.

I hope your query has been answered. I will be happy to solve your further queries. In case you are satisfied with my answer, please close the discussion and put a rating for it.

Dr.Monika Choudhary