46 years old. Started irregular period after mirena coil fitted. Looking for suggestion

my name is XXXXXXX XXXXXXX i am 46yrs old.i had the mirena coil fitted last april as a form of contraception and also to reduce pain in periods.I had no bother with it.Except on and off my periods seem to return about 10 days after the last
period.They can be light or bright red.I had my 6mth check up after insertion and my gynacologyist said everything was in order.I have no other discomfort.Is it true to say that my periods should have stopped at this stage.Recently only been in a sexual relationship since i first had it fitted.I didnt find any difficulty.I guess i wonder if it has moved.
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 9 hours later
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
Madam there is NO need for concern.
Menopause usually occurs after the age of 45, but it may vary from person to person.Women have been reported to be pregnant even at the age of 65!!
Usually just after insetion the periods may be erratic.
During sexual exposure there should not be any difficulty.This is a normal phenonmenon.Intrauterine contraceptives do not interfere with sexual experience.That is the beauty of the device.
If your gynae is confident about its placement then you need not worry.
Go for 6 monthly USG checkups for the confirmation of placement of the device.
Enjoy your sexual freedom.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Have a nice day.
Follow-up: 46 years old. Started irregular period after mirena coil fitted. Looking for suggestion 44 hours later
Thank you Dr Samik

I was annoyed at all the negative press on the subject on line.I was just worried
that it may have moved.I will relax more and persue a further checkup with my gynaecologist.

Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 2 hours later
Thanks for relying on me.
Please do the needful.
Enjoy your sexual freedom.