45 yr old, shaky hands getting worse. Taking escitalopram, campral,diagnosed hyperthyroid. Need a better solution

im 45 years and had shaky hands since 4. it has gotten worse in the last 4-5 years dr prescbed escitalopram 20 mg and campral 333mg,since ive been treating that way.alcohol helps alot but need better solution ive been diagnosed with an over active thyroid but still waiting on my t3-t4 results to come back
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

The symptoms of tremors in the hands can likely be due to hyperfunctioning of the thyroid gland. I will suggest starting beta blockers like propranolol after consulting a physician. You also need to start with antithyroid medications. Hopefully the tremors will gradually settle down with the thyroid drugs and beta blockers. But beta blockers may not be an option if you also have asthma, diabetes or certain heart problems.Then anti eplipesy drugs may be effective in people who don't respond to beta blockers.

Till then avoid much of caffeine and indulge in yoga or meditation. Stress tends to make tremors worse, and a relaxed state often improves them.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.