45 yr old, had 4th stroke, left side paralysed, left lung flat, unconscious. Chances of survival ?

I have a friend who is 45 and on Thursday had their 4th stroke. All their left side is paralysed n left lung is flat they are unconscious. What are the chances of survival.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Having recurrent strokes in a short period of time along with complications of paralysis and persistent unconsciousness for last 48 hours has a grave prognosis. However there are different factors to be considered while commenting on the prognosis by a medical doctor.

Unconciousness is suggestive of affection of a major part of brain due to the stroke. The lung collapse adds to the grave nature of the condition.

Since I do not have all the details and a privilege to examine your friend my assessment is severely limited.

I would advise you to follow with your neurologist. He would be the best person to guide further diagnostic workup and treatment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: 45 yr old, had 4th stroke, left side paralysed, left lung flat, unconscious. Chances of survival ? 37 minutes later
She has been on a ventilator n unconscious since Thursday with no change does not look good for her does it? How long would the doctors wait to see or expect improvement?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Being on ventilator further adds to the graveness of the situation.

The prognosis cannot be predicted immediately. It depends on the duration of stroke, the percentage of brain unaffected by previous stroke, status of other body function and so on.

Considering the patient is unconscious and on ventilator and had multiple strokes in the past, the chances of complications are higher.
You may discuss these issues with the treating physician. Prognosis may appear guarded, but hope for recovery is always present.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.