45 year old. Not feeling desire to have sex. Getting morning erection. Looking for suggestion

Psychiatrist
Question
Im a 45 year old male. from last one year i m not feeling a desire to have sex with my wife, although i get morning erections etc and also masterbates ( once in a week). I m not diabetic but my sugar level was high ( around 180 pp) which I controlled through excercise. I have no other known health problem . My peoblem is lack of desire for sex. Kindly advise.
Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in Men Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 5 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

From your query it is clear that your primary problem is lack of sexual desire in spite of having normal erection/masturbation.

Sexual dysfunctions can be a result of a psychological or physical problem.

Psychological causes: These include performance anxiety, emotional weakness, inferiority complex, stress, marital or relationship problems, low mood, feelings of guilt, and the effects of a past sexual and emotional trauma. Men with psychological problem usually have normal nocturnal erections and erections upon awakening, whereas men with physical problem often do not. tell me if you have any such problem.

Physical causes: Include neurological disorders, alcoholism, drug abuse, hormonal imbalances, diabetes, hypertension, blood vessel disease and chronic diseases.

I need following information to help you better:
-Do you have anxiety during sex only or some other time also?
-How is your sleep and appetite?
-Do you have problem alcohol abuse, hormonal imbalances, diabetes (recent blood sugar level), hypertension, blood vessel disease or other chronic diseases?
-As family become bigger..lack of privacy may lead to such problem.

You may also need some biochemical and hormonal investigations to ascertain cause of problem. After the determination of cause treatment can be planned.

Waiting for your reply,

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: 45 year old. Not feeling desire to have sex. Getting morning erection. Looking for suggestion 14 hours later
Sir,
As asked by you
1. Yes I have anxiety some other times also.
2. Sleep is good , but one noticable thing is that since last one year or so, I fell asleep fast in early hours of night say around 1030 pm or so, which i find hard to resist. Appetite is normal.
3.Regarding alcholisim, I drink ocassinally (say once/twice a week with 2 drinks of 60 ml each) threre are no other chronic disease. Recently I monitored my BP and found it high(140-150/90-100mmHg) but after eating somethinf it becomes normal ( something peculiar). For other things like Harmonal imbalance, sugar etc I have to get the test conducted.

Kindly advise me the other biochemical and harmonal investigation to be conducted

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Hello again,

Thanks for follow up,

Following measures will help you:
-BP monitoring as there is history of high BP.
-Investigations: Fasting blood sugar level, complete blood count, liver function test, thyroid function test (T3/T4/TSH), serum prolactine, serum testosterone. These all investigation can be done by single fasting blood sample from any good pathlab.
-Anxiety is also very common cause for low libido. You need in person assessment for that. We can not advice medicine online due to ethical guidelines but medicines help lots. You can visit nearby psychiatrist or me (if you live nearby Delhi ncr).

Till you complete above measures aerobic exercise, breathing exercise, healthy diet and yoga will help you.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: 45 year old. Not feeling desire to have sex. Getting morning erection. Looking for suggestion 6 days later
The tests were got conducted and the results are as follows:-
1. Glucose, Fasting 82.00mg/dL
2. Liver function test
(i) SGOT(AST) 43.00 U/L
(ii) SGPT(AST) 64.00 U/L
(iii) GGTP 83.00 U/L
(iv) Alkaline Phosphate (ALP) 75.00 U/L
(v) Bilrubin, Total 0.61 mg/dL
(vi) Bilrubin, Direct 0.11 mg/dL
(vii) Bilrubin, Indirect 0.50 mg/dL
(viii) Protein, Total 7.5 g/dL
(ix) Albumin 4.10 g/dL
(x) A:G Ratio 1.21
Thyoroid Profile, Total Serum:- T3, Total 0.9 ng/mL; T4, Total 9.70 ug/dL; TSH 4.43uIU/mL
TESTORONE, Total, Serum:- 334.44 ng/dL
Prolactin, Serum:- 6.35 ng/mL

Kindly advise, as per above report except for SGOT, SGPT & GGTP all the other tests are wthin the range
Pl advise

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 12 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for follow up,

As you have morning erection, normal lab reports and some anxiety reported by you, then we should consider psychological cause for your problem. You need in person assessment for that. You can visit nearby psychiatrist or me (if you live nearby Delhi ncr).

Apart from that aerobic exercise, breathing exercise, healthy diet and yoga will help you, so start them too.

Wish you good health.