45 days old vomits after feeding. What would be the possible reasons for vomiting?

Hi Docter, my nephew is of 45 days old. He vomits the milk every time after a feed. I am using brest feed only not any formula. He is vominting since third day of birth. My docter suggested me not to feed in sleeping posture. Burping is fine after feeding. After a feed neither he vomit nor he stools. His birth weight is 3kgs and now he is 4.5 kgs. May I know what would be the possible reasons for vomiting?
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for posting the query
Nausea and vomiting are common in children, and are usually part of a mild, short-lived illness, frequently caused by a viral infection. Although most children recover from nausea and vomiting without any treatment.
Vomiting also depends on number of feeds you give and at what interval, posture of child after giving feed. It should be not lying down. If you have low frequency of stool and urine per day, any sign of dehydration like dry tongue and skin than it is alarming sign.
It can be hard to tell if an infant is spitting up or vomiting because some infants reflux forcefully or in large amounts. Forceful vomiting in newborns can indicate a serious condition and always requires further evaluation. Potential causes of vomiting in newborns and young infants include a blockage or narrowing of the stomach (pyloric stenosis) or a blockage of the intestines (intestinal obstruction). But in these cases child not gain weight gradually. Feel free to consult your doctor and rule out the causes.
As your child is gaining weight and healthy, so in my opinion no need to worry. Just follow the instruction of your treating doctor.
Write if you have any further queries.
Dr. Kulbir Singh