44 years old overweight. Feeling bloated, achy stomach and itchy rectum. Should I go for stool softener?

Hi, I'm a 44 y/o female, slightly overweight. Have never really had problems with constipation or anything like that. Recently (last 2 weeks), I've needed to go a LOT (several times in one morning, several mornings in a row), and have bloated achy feeling in the belly most all of the time, whether I've eaten or not. Additionally, once I do go, there is horrible itching at the rectum. I thought I may need a stool softener, but haven't yet taken one, and today, the stool was "softer" and floated. Any insights?
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later

Thanks for the query

I would like to know a few more things in order to come to a better conclusion

1. From the past two weeks the symptoms have regressed or is the same?
2. Do you have loose stools which are foul smelling?
3. Do you feel the urge to pass motion after having food?
4. Any change in food habits lately?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: 44 years old overweight. Feeling bloated, achy stomach and itchy rectum. Should I go for stool softener? 3 hours later
Thanks for your response. I will answer the questions in the order you asked them.

1) The symptoms seem to be worsening, and I'm noticing they bother me more in the early part of the day. There is some slight cramping in the lower left side of the abdomen, and the bloating makes me feel like there is a "gas bubble" in the upper abdomen, but no belching/relief comes. Lying down feels better than sitting.
2) The stools are pretty foul smelling, but no, not loose at all, but they are quite SOFT (leaving smears in the toilet and on the toilet paper.)
3) There seems to be no difference whether I eat or not, I do not necessarily feel the need to pass stool after eating.
4) The only recent dietary change I've had is that I've started drinking Coke Zero. However, I have been consuming diet sodas for year, so unless there is a way different ingredient in the Coke Zero, I haven't really considered that as the possible culprit in a real way.

Thanks again for your response.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 11 hours later

The fact that you are getting left lower abdominal pain along with change in consistency of stool points towards an infection of the descending colon. I would advice you to take a course of antibiotics, ideally a combination antibiotic like ciprofloxacin with tinodaZole along with a pro biotic like sprolac. Kindly approach a Gastro enterologist for the prescription and examination.
Avoid sodas, food containing high fat content for a while. High fibre diet will do wonders for your bowel consistency

I hope I have answered your query, if your have any further ones I will be happy to reply
sorry for the delay in replying, I was caught up at the hospital.