44 years old. Have sore and heavy breast. Experiencing mood swings. Common menopause symptoms?

HI I am a 44 y.o. woman in perimenopause for about a year. My breasts have been painfully sore and heavy for about 2 weeks now and have been accompanied by an increase in severe mood swings. I've not had a period for about 2 months and the last one didn't even last 24 hrs. Is this typical for menopausal physical changes? I see my OB tomorrow. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Mood swings and decreased bleeding during the periods is a normal finding during menopausal years.
Hot flashes occur in up to 40% of regularly menstruating women in their forties, so they often begin before the menstrual irregularities characteristic of menopause even begin. During these periods many changes can occur and make one feel different. If these are troublesome, discuss the options of hormonal vs non hormonal treatments for hot flashes with your gynecologist and start the treatment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.