44 year old female, itchy scalp on crown of head, white flakes, redness. Treatment for scalp condition?

Hi, I am a 44 year old female and I have an itchy scalp but only at the crown of my head with lots of white flakes in the scalp and there is also acute redness
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 13 minutes later

You most probably seem to be suffering from Tinea capitis which is a fungal infection and involves only some particular part of the scalp. Other scalp infections also need to be ruled out. In Tinea capitis round scaly areas are found which are associated with itching.

Physical examination and investigation as KOH (potassium hydrochloride) mount helps in exact diagnosis.

You may consider visiting a Dermatologist for evaluation.

For treating it, various antifungal medications orally and for topical application are advised. Along with that shampoo containing Selenium sulphide is also to be applied weekly.

It is contagious so isolation is utmost important as it can spread to other family members. Kindly do not prick the scales as it can cause injury.

General hygienic measures are to be followed as no sharing of towel, clothes, combs, pillows, hair brush etc.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept the answer in case you do not have follow up query.