43 years old with PCOD and insulin resistance. Getting PMS. Advice?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
HI i AM A 43 + YEARS OLD UNMARRIED FEMALE ,I was diagonsed with PCOD by a very sr Gynee ,also I have insulin resistance.I am on bigoment 500 twice a day since last 3 months now.
My periods are late by almost 16 days now.Since last 2 to 3 days i have all the symptoms of PMS also with little spotting but no sign of periods.
I am 86 kgs and my height is 5"7 .i have been doing yoga and exercise regularly.
How long will it take to regularising my periods,any thing else i need to do....kindly advise
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 23 minutes later
Poly cystic ovary disease with insulin resistance can present with features like delayed periods, hypomenorrhea, amenorrhea etc.
Usually it will take around 3 to 6 months for regularization of the cycles.
Possibly the spotting you got could be hypomenorrhea(scanty flow during periods) due to PCOD or post-ovulatory spotting.
As you are unmarried there may not be any need of hormonal pills in addition to bigomet.
So you continue the tablets prescribed by your doctor.
Continue the yoga and exercise. Try to maintain the ideal weight (67 to 70kgs to your height).
Weight reduction helps in resuming the regular pattern of cycles.
Better to check for hemoglobin levels and thyroid profile once as anemia and thyroid disorders can also cause menstrual irregularity.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: 43 years old with PCOD and insulin resistance. Getting PMS. Advice? 7 minutes later
Thanks Doc I have uploaded my Blood test reports my Thyroid is normal and Hemoglogin is 13.
I am really worried about my problem,I got these test done in Dec 2012.Kindly also advise when should i repeat my tests.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
Some amount of menstrual irregularity is common in PCOD as I told previously.
If you are having heavy flow with more frequent cycles then that should be concerned. As you are having only scanty flow, no need to bother possibly that will get corrected soon.
Your symptoms could be due to perimenopausal age group also.
Regarding your other reports better to go for peripheral blood smear once to find out the possibility of anemia, the type etc.
Thyroid profile is normal.
Ultrasound abdomen to rule out any renal pathology as you are having red blood cells in urine.
Better to repeat the blood sugar levels now as you had elevated fasting glucose levels previously.
Continue your anti-diabetic drugs and try to reduce weight that can help.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: 43 years old with PCOD and insulin resistance. Getting PMS. Advice? 27 minutes later
thanks doc blood in the urine was also because i was having my periods during the time of my urine test.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 10 minutes later
Yes, that could be one possibility. You better repeat the urine analysis that will rule out other causes.