43 year old. Started getting irregular period. What is causing this?

May 2013
I am 43 years old got my period XXXXXXX 12 it was regular but then didnt get it till feb 25 and had it till march 12 was spotting from march 15 till 17th finally stopped but got my period april 5th again and last 3 times I get strings of blood what is causing this
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Usually during perimenopausal phase some amount of fluctuation in the hormones is possible which can lead to irregular periods.
But better to rule out other causes of irregular bleeding like fibroids, cervical or endometrial polyps, thyroid abnormalities etc.
So you better consult gynecologist, undergo physical examination and ultrasound to find out the possible cause for your problem.
If she suggests you can go for tests like hormonal profile, endometrial biopsy etc.
With this workup the cause can be identified and treatment can be given if needed.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.