42 years old. Had tubes tied twice. Gaining weight and missing periods. PG test negative. What's going on?

Thanks. I'm 42 years old. Had my tubes tied twice. Once in 1991. Then again in 1996 due to hemerage from tubular pregnancy. I'm 9 weeks late for my period, which never happen. Normally get them every 21-26 days faithfully. Now, I've been gaining weight, eating more than usual, extremely tired, and had a negative pregnancy test. What is going on?

Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 43 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

The first thing that should be thought of in any case of delay in periods is pregnancy especially since you are 9 weeks late. As your urine pregnancy test is negative, I would still suggest that you get a serum beta HCG levels checked and an Ultrasound to rule out pregnancy.

Other common possibilities I can think of are

1.Anxiety or Stress/ Depression
3.Thyroid disorders like hypothyroidism
4.Anaemia etc.

I would suggest you visit your gynaecologist at the earliest,(especially since you have had a past history of tubal pregnancy) as he/she will be the best person to examine and evaluate your condition.
In addition, it would be worthwhile to check your Hemoglobin , Thyroid function tests and blood sugars as anaemia, hypothyroidism, diabetes can also present with delay in onset of periods.

I would like to hear about your progress after your visit to the gynaecologist.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow-up: 42 years old. Had tubes tied twice. Gaining weight and missing periods. PG test negative. What's going on? 14 hours later
Thank you for your input. I have scheduled an appointment for next week to see my Dr. I will let you know of the outcome. Once again I thank you for your advice.
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 5 hours later
Thanks for the response.

Have a nice day :)