42 year old female, blood creatinine, serum low, BUN and creatinine ratio high. Do I have kidney and liver damage?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hello my blood creatinine, serum came back low 0.54 and the BUN/creatinine ration was high at 28. Everything else was perfect. Is there something wrong with me. I'm reading about kidney disease, liver problems, gastro bleeding....please help me. I'm a 42 yr old Caucasian female in good health.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 21 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query

Creatinine is normally a breakdown product of the muscle. In muscle energy is stored as creatinine phosphate and this is broken down whenever muscle needs energy. The production of creatine is dependent on muscle mass; therefore, baseline creatine and creatinine levels are higher in larger, more muscular people than in smaller people or those without much muscle.

On the other hand BUN represents urea generation and depends on the liver function and protein catabolism.

Creatinine is excreted through filtration and and this is usually effected in failing kidney where it's serum levels are elevated. Reduced serum creatinine is usually seen in people with low muscle mass, muscle diseases and in malnourished or debilitated people .
Hence recheck the creatinine once and build your muscle mass.

Hope I answered your query completely.

Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: 42 year old female, blood creatinine, serum low, BUN and creatinine ratio high. Do I have kidney and liver damage? 1 hour later
So being that, the numbers I gave to you, are they a concern?
I mean, with those numbers does it seem I have liver or kidney problems.
I read somewhere about dehydration....can that be it.
My creatinine serum was low at 0.54, the BUN was a little high at 28.
Follow-up: 42 year old female, blood creatinine, serum low, BUN and creatinine ratio high. Do I have kidney and liver damage? 2 minutes later
What I really want to ask is that if this is something that I can die from. Should I have the test done again. I didnt fast for the test. Im very scared right now that something is wrong with me
Thank You - XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 21 hours later
Hi
As I had written earlier a low serum creatinine is because of a low muscle mass. Even in advanced liver disease - where the creatinine is low the mechanism is once again a low muscle mass. I donot think dehydration causes a low creatinine; it infact rises it because of reduced renal perfusion.
To rule out technical errors repeat the test and try and improve the muscle mass
Dr XXXXXXX