41 years old, smoker. Getting irregular period and noticed urine leakage. What's going on?

May 2013
irregular vaginal bleedingi have always had regular periods.I am 41 and a smoker.This month when my period came back one n a half weeks later.I had it for a day or two n it stopped then it comes back again n I bleed for a day or two n it goes away.And when I re
move the tampon it has a horrifying odor.I also noticed when i wear a pad during the day i have some urine leakage n ut smells bad also.HELP!!!WHAT IS GOIN ON WITH ME?!
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
Irregular periods at the age of 41 can occur due to causes like:
-Hormonal imbalance
-Cervical or uterine polyps
-Cervical erosion, cervical neoplasia etc.

According to your description there is more possibility for local factors like cervical erosion, polyp or neoplasia.
Though the possibility of cervical neoplasia is less in general but the risk increases around 50% in smokers compared with non-smokers.
So better to consult gynecologist and get examined to find out the possible cause and take treatment accordingly.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.