41 years old. Masturbate only stimulating clitoris. Have a brown discharge with orgasm. What could it be?

Radiologist
Question
I'm 41 and not sexually active. When I masturbate only stimulating my clitoris I have a brown discharge when I orgasm. It's not a lot but it happens every time. I'm pretty sure it's old blood. Why is this happening, is it my age, per menopause?
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Ali Ismayilov 1 hour later
Hello and Welcome,

I will first give you some anatomical considerations. The uterus consists of 3 layers: outer (perimetrium), middle (myometrium) and inner (endometrium). During the actual menstruation, the most superficial aspect of the endometrium sloughs off and exits the uterus - the menstrual blood mainly consists of this sloughed off tissue.

Now, let's get back to your particular concern.

Brown vaginal discharge is a common finding and it is most often the old endometrium. This is further supported by the fact that you notice the discharge during orgasm (the uterus contracts at this time). Brown discharge is therefore most often seen in women with irregular menstrual cycles or if the endometrial lining failed to slough off completely during the last menstruation.

There are, however, other causes of brown discharge as well. These include pre-menopause, menopause, cervical cancer etc. Cervical cancer is the most remote possibility - almost close to impossible option - in your particular case. Pre-menopause, on the other hand, is something you should consider. As you are not sexually active, you do not need to consider sexually transmitted disease or other related infections for your case.

So, your best bet is to see your GP so that s/he can refer you for a few tests for the piece of mind. Your further steps will be defined by the results of these tests. If it is just a regular old endometrial tissue, your treatment will include certain life-style and dietary modifications along with drinking more water.

Best Regards,

A. Ismayilov, MD