41 years old. Feeling depressed and have hair loss. Any ideas?

Hi I am 41 years old and had a child 3 years ago. A few months ago I noticed the texture of my hair change dramatically and is now falling out in strands but more than usual. I had extremely thick hair so can now see the difference. I've been depressed and not feeling quite like myself. Any ideas?
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
hi and thanks for the question,
Common conditions like diabetes, thyroid disease, coeliac disease, crohn s disease, depression and certain psychiatric drugs. Causes are widespread and deserve a careful clinical questioning, physical examination and with particular laboratory tests, a diagnosis can easily be made. Even common conditions life iron deficiency anemias and vitamin deficiencies could lead to changes in the hair texture. Certain drugs or oils could also be implicated.
Consulting a dermatologist, and with a concerted action with an internist if necessary, an appropriate diagnosis could easily be reached,
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.