41 year old overweight. Feeling bloated, swollen and hard belly. Suffering from heartburn. Could it be IBS or ulcer?

I am 41 year old overweight female. For last few months I have been having bloating and my belly feels hard and swollen. It happens after meals and mostly at night. Also sometimes I will feel very nausea and my mouth will fill with saliva. I end up having to spit for several seconds. I also suffer from heartburn. I know I must change my eating habits but am not sure if this is the only thing wrong. I am concerned I may have IBS or possibly an ulcer.
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 59 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
Based on the information provided by you i think you have either GERD or acute gastritis.
I advice you to avoid spicy foods, smoking and alcohol till the symptoms subside. Even the over weight may be responsible for this.
It will be good if you take over the counter medications like Proton pump inhibitor, it should be taken empty stomach early morning once day for 7 days. It acts by reducing the acidity thus your symptoms.
I also advice you to have small frequent meals instead of large ones. It will be better if you walk at least 10 to 15 minutes after the meal.
Weight reduction is always a good thing it not only helps in your present condition but also helpful in preventing in many obesity associated diseases.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.