40 years old, trying to conceive. Possibility through IVF?

Excellent

Infertility Specialist
Question
I am a 40 year old female(40 years and 2 months old as of today).
I have never had problems with my periods and continue to have regular normal periods. I watch my diet well and exercise very moderately. I weigh 68 kg and 5.1 feet tall.
My history: 2 years ago I consulted an IVF specialist and under her directions went through a 'metformin' medication for about a year. But, thereafter I gave up as I was getting old.

1. what are my chances of having a successful IVF?
2. I am worried about Down's syndrome or other deformities that affect babies born for women in their 40's.

Thanks for your time.

Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 3 hours later
hello
thank you for writing to XXXXXXX

the chances of pregnancy 40 are one in 4

the downs syndrome problem in pregnancy is tested as a routine now between 11 to 13+ weeks
its a highly sensitive test - nuchal transluceny test and double test can be planned

as you are getting older it will be advised that u plan and go for the treatment at the earliest

wish you all the best

dr XXXXXXX thakkar