40 years old. CT angiography, MRI brain, 2D echo test done. What does myocardial bridging means?

Cardiologist, Interventional
As a part of a comprehensive health checkup post age of 40, i went through the following tests- CT Angiography, MRI Brain, 2D echo and others. There are some issues which have been highlighted in the CT Angio report regarding Myocardial bridging. Request your opinion on the same. I am attaching the reports.
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 44 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query and enclosing the reports. I have read them all in detail.

Myocardial bridge means a part of your hearts artery dips into heart muscle. It has a frequent occurrence and generally, an incidental-finding saying that it has no clinical significance.

Occasionally, when they occur in the main vessels they can produce chest pain but in the location described in your report it’s unlikely that they will produce any symptoms and nor do they require treatment.

Rest of the reports is normal.

I guess this clarifies your doubt. If anything, please get back to me.

Follow-up: 40 years old. CT angiography, MRI brain, 2D echo test done. What does myocardial bridging means? 55 minutes later

Doctor - Please help me with some queries below based after discussion with the general physician -

1) His explanation was that, because of this manufacturing defect in heart, whenever you will have heart attack, it will be bigger as compared to people who do not have myocardial bridge
2) As a precaution, taking Aspirin/dispirin after 50 years of age may/will be required
3) If the blockage in the heart becomes more than 50%/70%, then there could be pain/some issues. But my CT Angio report does not mention any specific blockage percentage.
4) Also, there is a CD with the report, does it need to be shown as well to a specialist ?
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 17 hours later
Thanks for reply. Let me take your questions one by one
1.No is the answer. This will not have any impact on heart attack that you may have if at all!, The location is such taht it by itself if it progress to block and cause heart attack it will be minor and may not even produce symptoms.
2. NO Unless you have some other indication such as diabetes or very high risk family history in your current profile as per prevailing norms there is no indication for you to take any aspirin.
3.BRIDGE and block or two dirrent entities. Bridge is when your artery is essentially normal and only its going through muscle and when muscle contracts it looks narrow so there is no percentage blokage associated with it.
4.If you are asymtomatic and tests are done and reported from good center than there is no need to show to specialist. See a specialist with CD if you have any doubts about reporting quality and such issues.