4 years old is having asthma, ASD and pyloric stenosis. Are they affecting growth and weight gain?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My son is 4 and weighs 30 lbs and is 37 inches tall. He is tiny for his age. He also had a repaired asd when he was 2 1/2. So he is still catching up he only weighed 17 lbs when he was 3. So made alot of growth since, however I feel like he is at a stand still. He has really bad allergies and asthma. Sees to always be stuffy or not 100 percent at any given day. Especially during the change of seasons. So frustrated... he goes to preschool 3 days a week for 1/2 days and I am worried that when he goes to Kindergarten he will be ill all the time. Seems to catch things easlly. Lymph node behind ear is starting to get bigger. always has a slight bump.

worried about growth and allergies and asthma
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 37 minutes later
I understand your concern!
Your child had and has few problems like pyloric stenosis,ASD and asthma - all of them affecting growth and weight gain.
Now two of them are solved!
Regarding asthma,if you do not have family history of asthma and both parents are free fromm asthma,the chances are the child will get over it as he grows by 6-7 years!
Any way he had definitely shown good weight gain after ASD surgery.
He has still many years of active growth and height gain.
Do not worry!
Please give him high protein and high calorie diet.
He will definitely catch up.
Every asthma episode makes the child lose weight with loss of appetite.
Also if he is on repeated short courses of steroids or steroid lnhaler, it can also affect growth in the long run but it is inevitable.It has to be used depending on the severity of asthma.
Be positive that asthma and allergies are treatable conditions and he will out grow them!
Regarding lymph node, you have to show to a pediatrician.
God bless
Dr Uma