4 years old having low haemoglobin. Is there any complication?

Pediatrician
Question
Good morning Doctor my son is know 4Yrs old every time hb level is low 8.5 gm/dl to maximun 11.8 gm/dl normocytic&mild hypochromic ,mild anisocytosis microcytes,occasional reactive lymphocytes

RBC 5.6 MILL/CUMM,4.9MILL/CUMM MONOCYTES SOMETIME ITS 8 TO 14 I JUST WANT CLEAR ANSWER FROM U DOCTOR I M VERY MUCH WORRIED ABT MY CHILD PLS REPLY MY QUESTION AS SOON AS POSIBBLE Thanking you
Posted Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 7 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your concern of low haemoglobin. I would have appreciated if you had mentioned about the medications given and what the doctors are suspecting. From the reports it appears that he needs further investigations to come to a definite diagnosis. I can suggest the following investigations:
1. Haemoglobin electrophoresis
2. Total serum iron
3. Iron binding capacity
4. Stool for occult blood
The above investigations are to rule out any haemoglobinopathy, to know the iron status and to rule out any loss of blood through the stools.

Apart from the investigations, it shall be better to know the family history of any blood related disorder.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back with any clarifications and to share any other details which may assist us to guide you.

Wishing your son all the best...

RKK

Follow-up: 4 years old having low haemoglobin. Is there any complication? 1 hour later
Good Morning

Dr XXXXXXX Thanks for reply medication is continue for short time orafer and its stop because of hard motion constipation sometime low Bp the investigation which u ve said i will complete and revert u bck

thanking you
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 10 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thank you for the update.

If the Hb goes up to 11.8 g% from 8.5 g% after giving Orafer then most probably your son has iron deficiency anaemia. In iron deficiency anaemia, the medicine has to be given for 2-3 months after the Hb comes to normal so that the body stores of iron are replenished.

Yes, iron preparations do cause constipation in some. In this situation it is better to increase roughage in the diet and reduce the dose of medicine instead of stopping it. Increasing XXXXXXX leafy vegetables is going to serve dual purpose - increase roughage thereby reducing constipation and also provide natural forms of iron.

Please do revert back with the investigations, so that I can rule out other causes.

I hope I have provided updated information to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son all the best...

RKK

Thanks Dr i will revert u in a week

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 35 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for the information and I shall wait for them. I hope my earlier response were to your expectations. You may close our discussion for now and rate my answer.

RKK