4 year old having watery stool, flu. Related to bile and pancreas?

My son is 4 years old. He has been pooping watery foamy stool 2-3 times a day. He is slightly weak this two dys as he is also having a flu. Otherwise he is a happy kid everyday. But his watery and gassy stool is starting to bother me as it didn't subside after a few weeks. I read other forums and it could b related to bile and pancreas? I m freaking out. Pls help me.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 38 minutes later

A 'watery diarrhoea' is most often due to rotavirus or other viruses.

In our clinical experience, we often see more than one episode of rotaviral diarrhoea in the same child before the completion of a year's age. Sometimes, though, the stools may be due to other problems such as a bacterial infection, intolerance to milk or other similar and more complicated conditions. It may be a good idea for you to check with his pediatrician and ask him to write out an advice form for a stool examination. If the stool shows not many pus cells and not a very foul smell, a viral infection is the most likely cause.

However, if the stool is mucusy, shows a pus-like discharge that is foul smelling, or if there is pain and griping, there is the possibility that we are dealing with bacterial infection. Antibiotic therapy would be useful in treating such conditions.

Is he dehydrated? Or Is he running a very high fever? These issues if present need to be addressed using adequate fluids and medications.

If he is playful all the time, probably the symptoms are benign. You shouldn't worry about him.

Hope I have answered your query. Should you have any clarifications with respect to my recommendations, I will be available to address them.

With best wishes,

Dr. Taher