4 year old having a fatty lump on the elbow. X-ray normal. Is this a lipoma by birth?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, about 3 months ago I noticed my 4 year old daughter has an extra crease above her left elbow crease. Between the 2 creases it looks like she has a fatty lump. After looking through baby pictures of her I saw that the extra crease and lump were always there--she was born with them. What could cause this? Her doctor felt of it and said it just felt like fat. She had an xray done and it came back normal. Could this be like a Lipoma she was born with? What would cause her to be born with the extra crease and lump? I would just like to find some kind of explanation for why her left arm looks like this and the right doesn't.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
I have seen the images attached with the query. It seems to be a physiological variation of the fat pad collection. This is nothing worrisome and is not a structural deformity. Please do not worry. It is not indicative of any pathology.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: 4 year old having a fatty lump on the elbow. X-ray normal. Is this a lipoma by birth? 5 minutes later
Thank you so much, your answer is very helpful. At first I was worried what if this is some kind of cancerous growth, but your explanation has put my mind at ease. Thanks again!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 minute later
You are most welcome.