4 year old have ear infection and hearing loss. What is the cause and treatment?

ENT Specialist
My daughter who is 4 year old, she lost hearing duto bottle feeding and cold cough & fever. At the age og two and half an Ent DR found that her ear was full of wax and infection and advised for bera test. Then we had gone for ber test and found that hearing level was 105 decible. Then treatment started and after one year feb 2012 , bera test conducted and hearing level found at 50 decible (mild mixed hearing loss). Recently, during the blood test, it was traced that the level of Vitamin D is less than 9 (insufficient) and alkaline phosphate was on higher side. We consulted a child specialist who in turn advised some Vitamin D medicine cource for 3 months. Is there chance of recovery of of hearing loss after 3 months ? Which is the best ENT Hospital in India & Asia where one can find the detail reason of hearing loss and its treatment as in general Doctors/Hospitals only talk of operation or hearing aid. It appears that they are least bothered to find the reason and its treatment. Please guide me where in this world, I can find a fair hospital/doctor ?
Posted Sun, 16 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query and a detailed history

First of all, I would reassure you there is no life threatening problems in your child.

Secondly, no bottle feeds in the world can cause hearing loss. Unexplained fever could have caused hearing loss (mostly neural).

50dB of hearing loss is a moderate type of hearing loss. Your child will require hearing aid for improvement of hearing. You should get her a hearing aid as soon as possible, failing which the child will fail in its clarity of speech.

There are plenty of ENT institutes in India which cater to the needy patients. All India Institute of Speech & Hearing (AIISH) in Mysore is one of the premier institutes for hearing and speech related problems. If you can tell me where you stay, I can guide you to the nearest ENT research institute.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon