4 year child is unable to walk and talk. MRI test normal. What is the problem?

my child is unable to walk and talk and also can not play toys. she is now 4yrs . i also have tested for MECP2 - negative test report and only EEG test is positive. MRI test is also Normal. what is problem , when she was 1yrs then she was walking with the help of bed and also playing in walker, she identify the family member. now doing nothing. my doctor has given olimelt medicine
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question.

I'm sorry to hear about your child's deteriorating condition. I can understand that this must be very difficult to accept and handle as a parent.

In order to understand your child's problem better, please provide some more details / clarifications.

1) Since when did you start noticing that something was wrong with your child? What were the initial signs of that?

2) Give me details about your child's birth: -
any problems for your wife during pregnancy? normal delivery or caesarian section? did the baby cry at birth? any problems in the first few days after birth?

3) Give me a detailed account of the developmental milestones of your child:

When did she first...

- hold her head up?
- sit unsupported?
- start to crawl?
- stand with support?
- start walking?

- make cooing noises?
- start babbling (dada, mama)?
- start saying meaningful words?
- start saying phrases?
- start speaking meaninful sentences?

- regard mother's face?
- smile at others?
- stranger shyness / anxiety?
- wave goodbye?
- start playing?

4) When did the regression start and how is the deterioration progressing?

5) Can she now dress or feed herself or go to bathroom independently? What is her level of functioning?

6) Does she display emotional attachment? Hugging, enjoying company of people, crying when left alone, etc?

7) Does she have any repetitive behaviour like spinning, repeated hand movements?

8) Does she often get irritable, have aggressive outbursts (especially if her usual routine is changed or altered)?

9) Does she have any other medical problems like seizures, etc.

10) What does the EEG reort say?

Please get back to me with these details, so that I will be able to guide you more effectively.

Best regards,.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist