4 year child having continious cough. Chest x-ray showed mild bronchitis. Looking for advice

ENT Specialist
Dear Doctor, my 4 years old boy has almost sustained cough for last 18 months (since he joined pre school). We have consulted his pediatrician and have shown him to other pediatricians. Every one tells me his chest is free and his cough is more due to allergy. Chest X-ray conducted only shows mild bronchitis. Has been giving regular cough syrup (Tixylix contains promethazine hydrochloride) medicine. Cough is dry and also occurs while in XXXXXXX sleep. He has also been given meta spray for nasal congestion. Sincerely request for any kind advice.
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Well, after reading your complaints like persistent cough, clear chest, mild bronchitis, nasal congestion, i have straight forwardly come to the diagnosis of allergic rhinosinusitis. As it is a very common condition that we usually encounter in our OPD on regular basis.

First of all, I would like to tell you something about this condition. It is a chronic disease, allergic in nature and the most common allergen is house hold dust. The allergic reaction causes blockage of the sinus openings leading to persistent infection and the above symptoms.

Now, what you will have to do for this condition...i will divide it into home remedies and medical treatment -

1.Keep away your child from dust. Use a vacuum cleaner to clean your house.
2.Avoid cold food.
3.Maintain hydration. Give him atleast 2-3 litred of water daily
4. Give him steam inhalation twice a day
5. Keep a symptom diary. Try and see what has changed in his environment when his symptoms get worse.

MEDICAL TREATMENT (after consulting an ENT surgeon) -
1. Give some antiallergic decongestant syrup like psuedopehedrine.
2. Vitamin supplementation
3. Topical decongestant nasal drops with oxymetazoline nasal drops.
4. Avoid any steroid nasal spray in high doses,as - momentasone(meta spray)

Is there any history of asthma in your family? If yes,than let me know.

I hope this will help you to overcome the condition of your child.I am here for future follow ups.

Follow-up: 4 year child having continious cough. Chest x-ray showed mild bronchitis. Looking for advice 10 hours later
Dear Dr. Maheshwari,

Thanks for your reply. And we have started immideate work on the home remedies you have suggested. Can you also advice if there is any food that need to be avoided.

On family history, my mother ( boy's grand mother) is asthmatic. Can his current situation lead to asthama.

Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 54 minutes later

Thanks again,

It's really praiseworthy that you are following advices. Well, as far as diet is concerned please avoid any cold diet and rice too.

Asthma usually runs in families; so you should be more cautious now. Restrict your child from overexertion - that doesn't mean he should not play and be active like a normal child. And never ignore if he has any wheezing sound from his chest. In such situation consult an ENT surgeon / chest physician immediately.

But for now, just follow the home remedies for 7 more days. If there is no improvement, a physical consult with an ENT surgeon is advised.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more inquiries.
If you do not have any more follow ups, please close this discussion.