4 months pregnant, Mesporine-1000, 6 doses, every 12 hours, infection in urine, safe to use ?

A doctor prescribed the Mesporine-1000 for my wife 6 doses to be taken every 12hrs, due to an infection in the urine stream. My wife is 4 months pregnant, is it safe for her to use Mesporine-1000?

Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Thanks for your query,

If I am not wrong the Mesporine is the preparation containing the Ceftriaxone which belongs to Cephalosporin class of antibiotics.Cephalosporins are usually considered safe to use during pregnancy. Ceftriaxone, 1 g /1000mg twice IV daily is the ideal dosage.

Well it does belong to Category' B 'drug list which means that there are no well established records of the study on the effect of the drug on the pregnancy.But still used with caution and with a strong indication.

Its commonly used drug to prevent Pyelonephritis ( infection in the kidney ) which follows as complication of like Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, E. coli, Gonorrhoeae etc Hence used to treat and prevent infections by these.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.