4 months pregnant. Having throat infection and body pain. Is it safe to take zifi CV and AtoZ syrup?

ENT Specialist
Dear Doctor,
My wife is 4 months pregnant and has throat infection plus body pain as well. We just consulted an ENT a few hours back and he has prescribed 1 tablet and 1 syrup - Zifi CV (200mg) and AtoZ syrup. He specifically mentioned that it was safe but I wanted to get a second opinion from you if it is safe to take these two medications.

Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. She is in the second trimester (3 months = 1 trimester). This is a safer period for medication than the first and the last trimester of pregnancy. The penicillin group including cephalosporin group of antibiotics such as cefixime (Zifi) are considered safe. Amoxicillin is probably considered safer. Clavulanic acid is the other component in Zifi CV. It is also considered safe for use in pregnancy.

2. There is no 100% surety of any medication being 'safe' in pregnancy. It is an assumption. Therefore, the benefits and risks must be weighed by your physician. For example, if there is fever, then antibiotics may be started. If there is severe cough, then it may be suppressed. Is there any change in voice (laryngitis)?

3. If she has started the above mentioned medication, let her complete the full course. In general, all medicines which are routinely used in children are safe to use in pregnancy.

4. Crocin (paracetamol) is not a strong painkiller. It may be used safely. If she can manage to bear the pain, stronger pain killers are best avoided during pregnancy. If she is unable to bear the body ache, occasional use of strong painkillers is not harmful.

5. It is best to manage this condition with home remedies such as warm fluids, steam inhalation (at least 10-15 min at each sitting with an electric steamer), medicated gargles such as Betadine / Tantum and lozenges. Turmeric in warm milk is also helpful. Do not hesitate to get a routine blood test or a throat swab done if her sore throat does not improve within two days of starting the antibiotic.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.