4 month old child, suffering from chest congestion, cold, cough. Treatment options?

my child of 4 months weighing 7 kgs is suffering from chest congestion , cold and cough for the past 4 days. please advice

Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 23 minutes later

I understand your concern.

During this season, viral infections are very common. The infection easily spreads amongst individuals.

I would suggest the following:

•     Please keep feeding him regularly.
•     Make sure he passes urine regularly and take his feed properly.
•     Keep a watch on fever.
•     Do not apply anything like balm etc. on his skin. You can buy vapocaps available in the market and sprinkle the content on his clothes, pillow etc. This will prevent his nose from getting blocked.

In case he has fever, you can give him drops like metacin/crocin etc. in dose of 15mg/kg/dose, so in his case about 10-12 drops every 6-8 hours.

If he does not get better, please consult his paediatrician who can examine him and prescribe appropriate therapy.

I hope this answers your query. I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have any follow up query.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.