4 month child suffering from cold. Suggest alternate medicine for phena p

Pediatrician, Neonatology
hii, my son is 4 month and weighted 8 kg. he is suffering from cold and from last night he is crying from last night , doctor prescribed T- MINIC, ASTHAKIND -P , PHENA - P . i haven't get phena p in medical store intsead of this which medicine i should give, and tell me what i do so that he stops crying please tell me fast
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 41 minutes later
Welcome to health care magic.
Phena P is promethazine and paracetamol combination.
Paracetamol is for fever and pain.
There are some other names like Emispan-plus,Phenorga,
kelvin-p, Ronyp- p which are all same as Phena P.
If any of these are not available you can use plain paracetamol syrup of any brand like p125, crocin etc
Regarding crying, does he take feeds properly?
Your doctor has prescribed a good combination of medicines for pain,cold and cough.They should work for the child.
Try to console him by other means like swaddling!
Give him one dose of paracetmol-(125 mgs)-- may be he has ear pain from cold!
Also put some pediatric nose drops 1-2 drops!
The cause of crying must be earpain or hunger from not feeding well! Or nose block!
As it is a viral infection it will take some time.
Do not worry.
Wishing speedy recovery
Dr Uma

Follow-up: 4 month child suffering from cold. Suggest alternate medicine for phena p 4 hours later
he is not feeding properly , i have given him phena p , since he s sleeping from 3 hours can u tell me is any side effect of this medicine. and proper dose of this medicine, can u tell me medicine which help child for gud health in daily use and he didnt feed mother milk what should i do so that he take mother milk and can u tell me abt any medicine which increse mother milk or any technique
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 7 hours later
yes, that medicine will make the child sleep more.
what ever dose you gave,next time you give half of that amount.
For-the child ,you give next time at night 1 ml only.
from tomorrow do not use it unless the child is irritable or vomiting.
Reg breast feeds mothers milk is the best.
why he is not able to feed directly?
does she have retracted nipple or any problem?
if she has retracted nipple you can buy nipple shield from the market and put it over the nipple and make the baby suck directly.
if still not feeding, you can use the breast pump,extract the milk and give by bottle.
There is no medicine in Allopathy to increase milk production in mother.
let her drink plenty of milk and fluids.

Reg general tonic for baby, there are many multivitamins like A-Z drops.OR VISYNEROL.You can give 0.6 ml drops once a day.
if you are giving tinned milk that also contains vitamins.
but more than that let the mother keep on trying breast milk.
wishing speedy recovery for your baby.
Dr Uma