4 1/2 year child having runny black stool. Having fever. Diagnosed as bacterial tonsillitis. Taking antibiotic. Worried

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have a 4 and a half years old daughter and she's been sick for nearly a week now and she had runny black poo, i took her to the doctor last wednesday afternoon because she got high temperature and she was complaining that her tummy was sore, took her to the doctor and the GP looked after her just look her mouth and he said she got bacterial tonsillitis and GP said maybe the bacteria cause her stomachache. I am really worried she's not eating well, she's taking an antibiotics medicine for her tonsillitis called curam amoxyciline.
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 30 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
The cause of fever needs to be ascertained as to whether it is due to tonsillitis or due to intestinal infection.
Certain blood tests need to be done like complete blood count and blood culture. If the doc is suspecting tonsillitis then even a throat swab for culture.
The abdominal pain can be due to tonsillitis or due to infection. Blood tests will help in determining the cause.
Fever needs to be brought down as this can cause complications in kids.
Tepid sponges along with mild antipyretics is essential.
Amoxycillin as an antibiotic is fine to start with.
Complete bed rest and adequate fluid intake to prevent dehyadration is required.
I hope this provides you with aguideline.
With regards