39 year old, had a total knee replacement. Having extreme pain, unable to straighten knees, skin looks purple. CT normal. Why the pain ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i am a 39 year old who had a total knee replacement (right knee) 2 years ago. I have been in extreme pain all this time and still use a cane when walking. I am having extreme difficulty getting the knee striaght. When I try to straighten I get a sharp throbbing pain on the left side of my knee just below the knee cap. I also can only bend the knee to 80 degrees. There are times when the pain travels down my XXXXXXX and wraps around my ankle. I have also noticed that when I walk, my right foot points outward and i walk on my toes (foot won't lie flat). Finally, the skin around my knee and quad looks purplish and blotchy and at times the leg feels cold.I just recently had a CT scan which showed nothing is wrong with the knee. Why am I still inagony?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 34 minutes later

Persistent pain 2 years after total knee replacement can be due to neuropathic pain, XXXXXXX scarring (arthrofibrosis), loosening of the prosthesis, patellofemoral instability, postoperative stiffness, etc. A direct clinical examination and investigations like MRI and arthroscopy are needed to identify the exact cause.

The treatment usually involves pain killers under guidance of a pain therapist, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, etc. You can consult your surgeon for careful examination and evaluation to narrow down the possibilities.

I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.