39 weeks pregnant. Started brownish pinky discharge. Is there any risks?

hi im 39 weeks 3 days pregnant and im wondering as im not sure but i think my "plug" has gone as it was a browish pinky colour and today im losing yellowish brown discharge is this still my plug
Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using health care magic

The mucus plug is normally in the cervix during pregnancy and passes close to delivery.It is normally clear, slightly pink or blood tinged, it can also be stringy or sticky.It is likely what you saw was your plug.
You only need to contact your doctor if you notice that it becomes bright red or increases in amount (about an ounce /2 table spoons)- so if the yellow discharge continues or increases in amount you may want to consider visiting your maternity clinic.
Normally labour would start one to two weeks after the plug passes.
Signs of labour would be regular contractions( XXXXXXX XXXXXXX are usually irregular), lasting 30 secs to 70 secs.The contractions would increase in strength and are not altered by position.

I hope this helps and I hope that you have a normal delivery with no significant issues.Feel free to ask any other questions