37 years old, trying to conceive, overweight. Done ultrasound. Chances of conceiving naturally?

Excellent

Infertility Specialist
Question
Hi , I have been trying to conceive for the past 6 months. I am 37 years of age and overweight. My Doctor sent me for an ultrasound scan and is quite happy that I should conceive naturally but I am worried to death that something is wrong. I will type what the report says:

US Pelvis transabdominal & transvaginal

Poor quality image with limited resolution due to patient body habitus.

The uterus appears normal in size and echotexture with an endometrial thickness of 6.4mm LMP - day 27.

The right ovary has a volume of 10cc, the left ovary has a volume of 11cc. Both ovaries contain numerous small follicles. PCO cannot be excluded, suggest correlation with clinical biochemistry. No free fluid seen.

Do you see that I should be able to conceive naturally with the above report? What should my endometrial thickness be and my ovary volume?

Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 24 minutes later

I have read your query & I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) The ultrasound report looks fine.

2) Endometrium thickness measured on day 27 is not reliable or necessary.

3) Ovary volume and follicles in ovary appear to be fine.

4) Please get HSG ( hysterosalpingogram) to check patency of fallopian tubes.

5) Get you husband's semen analysis to check if it is fine.

6) Get regular follicular growth scan from your doctor to know the dominant egg formation in ovary which is best time to have intercourse and high chances of conception.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol

IVF & Infertility Specialist.

Follow-up: 37 years old, trying to conceive, overweight. Done ultrasound. Chances of conceiving naturally? 58 minutes later
So you think I can get pregnant naturally? My doctor doesnt think there is a problem shoukd I put my trust and faith in him

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 26 minutes later

Trust your doctor. Go ahead and get treated. Let me know if you need anymore guidance. If you dont conceive in 6 months go for next step of treatments.

Follow-up: 37 years old, trying to conceive, overweight. Done ultrasound. Chances of conceiving naturally? 31 hours later
If clearblue fertility monitor shows ovulation does this mean I ovulate and I should be able to conceive naturally?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 7 hours later

Yes. If ovulation kit shows ovulation it indicates ovulation ( not 100% though but it is good). You can try for pregnancy around that time.

The tests above which I had mentioned are ways to confirm if everything is fine to try naturally.

Hope it helps.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist