36 years old, alcoholic, back pain, abdominal pain, loose stools, burping. normal colonoscopy, X-ray, ultrasound. Treatment for chronic pain ?

i am 36 years old alcoholic 6'1 185lbs been suffering 6 years lower right side discomfort feels raw and mid right side back ache constant everyday morning till bed also loose stools burping bloated had colonoscopy xrays ultrasound everything fine doctor said just quit alcohol and you will be fine so i quit for 7 months and still i have problems
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

From your question you have indicated that in the past you have had difficulty with alcohol consumption. I would like to congratulate you on discontinuing drinking right now. This will slowly but surely continue to have a positive impact on your health and quality-of-life.

Regarding the symptoms which you have reported including the abdominal discomfort on the right side there are a couple of different categories which we might consider. The first category would be irritable bowel or spastic colon. This is a condition which is caused sometimes by stress but sometimes the cause is not actually found. There are medications which can sometimes decrease the severity of this type of disorder.

The other consideration would be some type of malabsorption. This type of malabsorption can cause diarrhea. In your case it is possible that you may have a small or moderate degree of malabsorption which is Contor beating to some of your discomfort as well as the diarrhea. There are sometimes some good medications which may be considered to help improve this process.

I would recommend that you request another visit with the specialist or gastroenterologist to discuss your current symptoms and consider treatment of the two disorders which I have mentioned here.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga