36 years old. Have low estrogen levels. Would taking supplements help?

I am 36 and have low estrogen levels. Would taking supplements help?
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

I have to make some assumptions about why the estrogen level was checked in the first place. I will assume that this might be in the setting of a change in your cycles or abnormal bleeding and/or hot flashes. You will have to correct me if that assumption is wrong.

That being said, it is not unusual to note changes in ones cycles beginning in your mid to late 30's related to early peri-menopausal changes. This certainly has something to do with lower estrogen production by your ovaries.

In someone as young as you, and for the reasons that I assume that the estrogen levels were checked in the first place, in most cases a birth control pill (which is a combination of estrogen and progesterone) is a great way to address this issue.

On the other hand, if you are having no problems at all, with regular cycles, then there is no need to treat anything.

I hope this helps - please provide clarification if needed. DR XXXXXXX
Follow-up: 36 years old. Have low estrogen levels. Would taking supplements help? 18 hours later
I had the estrogen levels checked in the first place because of my inability to lose weight. I thought I had a thyroid problem. I have been on birth control for a year now and nothing changed, so I stopped taking them because of the cost. I do not have insurance at this time so I was wondering if there was some sort of supplement that might help the situation.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 56 minutes later
For what it is worth, the fluctuation in your estrogen levels is normal and it can appear "low" depending on where you are in your cycle.

Also, the question of low estrogen levels (for example in a postmenopausal woman) is not associated with any significant weight gain.

Finally, there is no supplement that would be appropriate to "raise" the estrogen levels. One place to go for alternative treatments is the North American Menopause website ( WWW.WWWW.WW which does have information on natural products, such as Soy, that contain natural estrogens.

I hope this helps, let me know!