36 weeks pregnant, has vaginal itching, bitter taste in mouth. Advised urine culture which came normal. Suggest?

May 2013
Hi Doctor,

My sister is 36 weeks pregnant, She has vaginal itching, bitter taste in mouth,Doctor recommended her urine culture and routine test.Urine culture test was normal, In urine routine test

pus cell 4-5per npf,epithelial cell 2-4,per npf,pH 6
does she require any antibiotic?
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotics may not be needed

Detailed Answer:
Usually in urine microscopy, 4 to 5 pus cells in high power field is normal.
And urine pH can range from 4.5 to 8, depending on many factors.
As culture and sensitivity is also negative, there is less possibility for infection. So no need of antibiotics for this.
She has to take plenty of water and liquids. That will help in relieving urinary symptoms.
If she is having any vaginal infection, which is causing itching, she can take tablets for that.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.