34 year old having Crohn's disease. Blood in the stools. Colonoscopy done. Have pain in the lower abdomen, diarrhea. Family history of diverticulitis.

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi. I am a 34 year old patient with a history of Crohn's Disease. Today I had a bowel movement with a lot of bright red blood on the tissue and in the bowl. I do not have a history of hemmorhoids or fissures, and the bowel movement did not hurt. My last colonoscopy was in January 2012 and it showed no active Crohn's. I do have some lower left abdominal pain now and some diarrhea (stool was formed earlier today). I also have a family history of diverticulitis.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 13 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

From your history, it appears that the most probable cause of your bleeding is diverticular disease. However, assuming the colonoscopic report to be authentic, inflammatory bowel disease as well as diverticular disease are ruled out.
Crohn's disease is disease of the terminal (the last part) of the small bowel so a colonoscopy will not help in confirming the cause.

The possibilities then are angiodysplasia which is a vascular malformation of the bowel. The other possibility could be a cause in the small bowel. This can only be picked up by capsule endoscopy.

I hope I have addressed your concerns.

I will be available for follow up queries.