34 year old, elevated levels of SGOT and SGPT, alcohol addiction. LFT and ultrasound done. On hypertension medication. Treatment without medication?

I have gone for routine LFT test while taking treatment for Hypertension where i found my SGOT/SGPT reading too high(139/199),my ultrasound report is ok and i have no problem with my liver but i consult a doctor who prescribed me URSODEOXYCHOLIC ACID alongwith Essentiale(contains PHOSPHOLIPIDS) for 15 days then my test shows 108/143,i continue same medicines for 15 days more after that my test shows 184/163 my doctor now (last week)prescribes me medicine which contains URSODEOXYCHOLIC ACID & SILYMARIN alongwith Essentiale tablets and Baclofen tablets.Pls guide whether i am taking correct medicines as my ultrasound report is OK,I am drinking regularly for past 3-4 years ,can stopping alcohol intake reduce SGOT/SGPT,i want to know if i am taking too much medicines as i am having no problem with my liver,pls suggest whether i continue with the above medicines,SGOT/SGPT test have been attached,ultrasound report is ok,test for Hepatatis C and Hepatatis B are negative,i want to stop taking these medicines so pls suggest natural ways to reduce SGOT/SGPT levels,pls note that i am taking Hypertension medicines for past 2 months
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 7 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     34 year old male
•     Known case of hypertension controlled on treatment
•     Drinking alcohol regularly for 4 years
•     Raised SGPT/SGOT level, Normal bilirubin level and ultrasound report, Negative report for Hep B & C

Normal range for SGPT (ALT) 10-40, SGOT (AST) 10-35. So from your reports it is clear that ALT and AST levels are elevated. ALT and AST elevate in presence of parenchymal damage because of alcohol use and they return in normal range after stoppage of alcohol.

Alanine transaminase (ALT)/SGPT

Alanine transaminase (ALT), also called Serum Glutamic Pyruvate Transaminase (SGPT) is an enzyme present in hepatocytes (liver cells). When a cell is damaged, it leaks this enzyme into the blood, where it is measured. ALT rises dramatically in acute liver damage, such as viral hepatitis or paracetamol (acetaminophen) overdose.

Aspartate transaminase (AST)/SGOT

Aspartate transaminase (AST) is similar to ALT in that it is another enzyme associated with liver parenchymal cells. It is raised in acute liver damage, but is also present in red blood cells, and cardiac and skeletal muscle and is therefore not specific to the liver. The ratio of AST to ALT is sometimes useful in differentiating between causes of liver damage. Elevated AST levels are not specific for liver damage, and AST has also been used as a cardiac marker and in certain cancers.

The AST/ALT ratio is sometimes useful in differentiating between causes of liver damage (hepatotoxicity).
-When greater than 2.0, it is more likely to be associated with alcoholic hepatitis
-When less than 1.0, it is more likely to be associated with viral hepatitis

As in your all tests are negative except raised SGOT & SGPT level then cause of liver dysfunction most probably is alcohol use and you should stop its use gradually to recover.

In usual cases without complication liver enzymes return to normal within few months but there is gross individual variation regarding exact duration.

The drugs which you are taking help, when there is some obstruction in bile flow or in presence of gall stone. Your physician might have suspected them in your case after examination. These drugs have negligible side effects, so do not worry about overdose as you are taking them under physician supervision.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health,
Follow-up: 34 year old, elevated levels of SGOT and SGPT, alcohol addiction. LFT and ultrasound done. On hypertension medication. Treatment without medication? 19 hours later
Thanks for your informative reply,however i am expecting advice from liver specialist,nevertheless i have one more question actually i was also addicted to cough syrups some years back before gradually and completely shifting to alcohol,i used to drink one bottle of cough syrups like corex etc containing codeine phosphate for almost 5-6 years almost regularly(4-5 times in a week),i would like to know whether this can be reason for elevated SGOT/SGPT?ALSO pls advice if there is any need to disclose this info to my liver specialist from whom i am taking treatment?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 15 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for the follow up.

If you have stopped cough syrup long time back then it will not impact current liver function.

You should focus on stopping on alcohol use as it is directly associated with deranged liver function test. Only alcohol cessation will help you best for normalization of SGOT/SGPT.

Considering past history of cough syrup use and current alcohol use, you have addiction prone personality. De addiction specialist will be able to help you in quitting alcohol.

If you need advise from liver specialist then you can use ask a specialist service on this website.

There are patient written reviews for doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor.
You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW .

Take care,